Monday 4 July 2011

Gallipoli - lest we forget

GALLIPOLI 

If you didnt already know, I am a big history fan and love reading/studying world wars, so when i saw that this tour was going to Gallipoli i was instantly sold! 

Thanks to my dad, I have inherited to the gene of crying at almost anything (books, tv shows, songs ect) so me crying was a given! However I didn't know what the atmosphere would be like with 46 other people, some who didn't know anything about Gallipoli (Americans, Canadians) and thought others wouldn't be interested or emotional! 
I was wrong. 

Driving through the Gallipoli peninsula, our tour manager Kellie gave everyone a run down about the Anzacs and the battle at Anzac cove. Listen to the story I was fighting back tears however when I looked up an saw that Kellie was crying I lost it! 

We arrived at the cove and were given an hour to walk along the beach. I have never seen 46 people more quiet in life! Everyone was so wrapped up in the surroundings and taking in the area. 

After the hour we jumped back on the bus Kellie played the last post (evoking many more tears from me) and we headed up to Lone Pine cemetery. 
Reading some of the inscriptions on the grave stones was heart wrenching! It was such a lovely place with magnificent view over the bay! 

Overall it was an extremely emotional day but I am soo happy that I got to go there and see the place where so many men sacrificed there lives for Australia. 
Lest we forget

Xxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment